Is Psychology a fie...

Notifications
Clear all

Is Psychology a field for you?

41 Posts
35 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm doing my MSc. in Clinical Psychology and I've gained quite a bit of exposure and I'll try to say as much as I can in as little words as possible. Many people start with the subject and then leave halfway or choose another field after a point for various reasons. They might be justified but does that scare you?

First things first, Psychology is not just a subject but a lifestyle. It's a very fascinating field and there might be statistics or some theories that might not be to your liking but the overall experience that the field gives is incomparable. You'll have fun, lots of fun.

When I first walked in for my Bachelor's lectures, I'd assumed that psychologists are these super humans who have a surpassed ordinary human thinking, I couldn't have been more wrong. They are, we are, humans. Each of us struggling with our own troubles, making our way through each day. But we're trained, we're always learning, we're doing our best to keep ourselves aside and do all we can for you and we will, any good psychologist will, give their best for the clients.

The subjects are mostly relatable. One might have trouble relating to most other subjects but the subjects in psychology are things we live with and things that make us who we are. So, even on days when you go for an exam without any preparation, you'll have a lot to fill the sheets up, just close your eyes and think of your own life.

You'll handle sensitive people, delicate ones, strong ones who need care, people around you. Some days you'll handle yourself and see how much you've grown since the time you joined the field. How your perspective has broadened, how you can notice the little things better, how much more expressive you can be. Learn and apply it all and you'll not only be an asset for the society but you'll have a better life for yourself.

Finally, you will hear heartbreaking stories, worse. You'll have moments when you want to cry right in front of your clients. You'll have days when you feel too empathetic and want to rant or take action for them. Breathe and get through them, it will be tough but you have to. Because, you'll also have days when you see them smile for the first time in years. You'll have days when they tell you how they made new friends or how they're eating well, like you're a parent to them. You'll have days when they thank you and say they'll treasure what you did for them, and they'll mean it.

Psychology is about empathy, it's about being an amazing human, it's about love and care. It might not be for everyone but again, we all need each other. If we are like the mothers of the family, we still need each and every field to complete our system and keep going ahead.

Ilhaam Shaik December 12, 2020 2:28 pm

@jerrymum1999 looks like you have a lot of knowledge and understanding. Great going. Good luck💛

kshithi December 12, 2020 2:36 pm

@jerrymum1999 I think this might be the best thing I have read today! I too wanna be a clinical psychologist, thank you so much for sharing your views with us! have a great day!

Sreejita Sarkar December 12, 2020 3:11 pm

@jerrymum1999 That was informative, helpful and insightful. I'm glad you're doing your bit to educate people.

Sajjithra Subbian December 12, 2020 3:14 pm

@jerrymum1999That was great thankyou for sharing

Yashaswini Bhat December 12, 2020 4:15 pm

@jerrymum1999 thanks for sharing this informative writing. I got a clarity weather I can take up clinical psychology or not. I really liked your writing still. Have a good day ahead.

Kirti manaktala December 12, 2020 4:26 pm

@jerrymum1999 reading this was honestly amazing. Very helpful and insightful. It was great to read your views. I wish you loads of luck. 

Stay safe and take care. 

Gurleen Kaur December 12, 2020 4:27 pm

@jerrymum1999

hey, this was so informative. I loved reading it especially the last paragraph. Would love to know more about psychology from you!!

Anagha Rohankar December 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Heyya🌻 @jerrymum1999, hlo. I'm quite impressed by seeing ur love for psychology. Actually I'm not a psychology student but While reading this I was literally feeling what psychology must be. Hope uh explore more. Much love 🧡

Keep Growing 🍀 

Cheers ✌️

Neha Upasani December 12, 2020 4:40 pm

@jerrymum1999 Hey I love your point of view towards Psychology.. Glad to know it..

Vanshika Nagda December 12, 2020 5:28 pm

@jerrymum1999 That was so well written. Thank you so much for putting it out here. I am just going to enter college for my B.A. degree and this helped me a lot. All the best!

Namitha M December 12, 2020 7:17 pm

@jerrymum1999 This is so inspiring and informative too... I myself is a first year bsc psychology student and this really helped me to have a better look in this field.. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Kanishka Mendiratta December 12, 2020 8:51 pm

@jerrymum1999 Wonderful! Loved it.

You are experiencing such a heartbreaking and at the same moment happy moments with your clients. It feels so good to hear your life experiences and counseling sessions❤️

Shruti Shashidharan December 13, 2020 12:00 am

@jerrymum1999 Wow, this is beautifully written! Calling psychology a lifestyle is a really fresh perspective! This is very insightful. Thank you for sharing! 🌻

Aanandi khanna December 13, 2020 12:16 am

@jerrymum1999 very inspirational

Aashima Kathpalia December 13, 2020 12:22 am

@jerrymum1999 nothing could have explain better than this in such a effective and communicative way !! you have actually explained a whole scenario of psychology and how an individual have to carry their personal life and professional life together yet separate in every way . 

keep spreading your knowledge and let people explore the world through your peace of writings yes peace ... 🌺 🌺 

Prachi Piryani December 13, 2020 12:26 am

@jerrymum1999 I totally totally agree with you. Loved your experience. I am an undergrad student hoping to have a great time in the field too. Thanks for sharing. Great going. All the best. 😀

Harshini December 13, 2020 12:28 am

@jerrymum1999 Very well said ! Neatly explained..

Harshita Vaswani December 13, 2020 3:08 pm

This is the 18th article I'm reading and by far one of the best. Good job senior! Who would have thought out of all people I'll stumble upon your work and boy you slayed it.

Kudos to you and thanks for writing!

Prakriti Sanganeria December 13, 2020 5:02 pm

I was completely hooked on this article.  You have so amazingly explained everything and it inspires me a lot. I hope to know more about this fascinating subject. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!

Preethama December 14, 2020 3:57 am

hey there, thanks for sharing your perspective. its very enlightening. all the best.

Dhriti Chadha December 14, 2020 7:12 am

Your write-up has really cleared up my mind about taking up this subject. At first I hesitated a little but now I’m sure this is what I wanted to do. You’ve cleared up certain doubts that I had, your piece was really informative and interesting to read. 

Mohamed Ajmal December 14, 2020 8:12 am

Well written, as a psychology student this is what I meant to say to my juniors

Aleesha Joykutty December 14, 2020 10:19 am

You'll handle sensitive people, delicate ones, strong ones who need care, people around you. Some days you'll handle yourself and see how much you've grown since the time you joined the field. How your perspective has broadened, how you can notice the little things better, how much more expressive you can be. Learn and apply it all and you'll not only be an asset for the society but you'll have a better life for yourself.

11 Answers

Thank you for sharing you experience. It is true that it indeed is a very fascinating field and you get to know so much with experience.

Your experience at the psychology field is really great. Aa a post graduate students in this field and your thinking about psychology is rellay funny. I loved your experience. 😌

Wow, this article had me absolutely hooked. I really appreciate your efforts and knowledge, and how thoroughly in simple words have you explained, the art of studying a beautiful subject like psychology. The insights are much appreciated!

Jerry Joy Mathew Topic starter December 12, 2020 7:02 pm

@gaurikakar I'm glad I could be of help to you Gauri! Feel free to ping me if anything. Good day!

This is one the best elobarative experience or article i have read about psychology thanks to you. A big thank you for sharing all this and enhancing our knowledge abt the subject.

Jerry Joy Mathew Topic starter December 12, 2020 7:15 pm

@sanyogitasharma You're welcome! Such words inspire me to keep writing hehe. Good day to you!

Wow, this genuinely was so well written, what prompted you to take the subject up? and I'm just asking this out of curiosity as an undergrad student, what do you think about clinical psychology in India? both in terms of the teaching and in terms of career opportunities, do you see any roadblocks in your path ahead, do you think there's a lot of research that needs to go into choosing a specialization in psychology in order to pursue the subject here?

Jerry Joy Mathew Topic starter December 12, 2020 7:13 pm

@janhavisiyer I understand your curiosity Janhavi but take a breath, it's not as complex as some people might say hehe. First things first, why I took the subject up, well. It's a long story but basically it seemed like the best option considering my personality of reaching out and helping people. Also, the curiosity of understanding people and how their minds work.

Clinical Psychologists, I mean the RCI approved ones are kind of a rare thing in India at this point. This is changing slowly but considering  the fact that norms are getting stricter and the need for them is rising, there is plenty scope. This is the moment for you to get into the field.

For teaching, if you clear NET, you'll be welcomed in plenty colleges. There is always a need for more assistant professors. 

Roadblocks are ever present but nothing that can put a stop that comes to my mind. The MPhil exams are pretty tough and seats are limited, for one. But you can work on it and the institutes are adding more seats and more of them are getting RCI approvals so you can relax a bit.

For specialization, my best advice is (if you don't get a clarity by end of third year) to opt for something like Applied Psychology. This will expose you to major fields and give an idea about it. Also, try and do internships on various fields of Psychology and get a first hand experience. A combination of both these should give you clarity by end of your postgrad. 

Phew, that was a lot haha. You can hit me up here if you want and I'm hoping the gatha clears most of your doubts. All the best!

Janhavi S. December 12, 2020 11:06 pm

xD yup thanks, its so cool to hear about all of this honestly, don't get to have such conversations with a lot of people so this really helps (+yes thanks for that long reply). I've just heard of a lot of struggles in the field so I hope I find my area of interest so that I'd have more confidence about how to go ahead 😌 

Jerry Joy Mathew Topic starter December 13, 2020 1:17 am

@janhavisiyer take it slow... you got this! *coughs like an old guy who's been here for decades though still struggling and finding a way ahead each new day* haha... every field has struggles, it's about perspectives. I want energy like yours to be utilized for the field of Psychology to reach out. So, just go for it. 🙌😁

Psychology is really an interesting field to study if one wants to know about himself more

I'm an aspiring psychiatrist and after reading your detailed post , I realised yes I definitely belong here.  So, you can help a lot of people in realising what belongs to them !!

Jerry Joy Mathew Topic starter December 13, 2020 1:13 am

@hakimkhairunnisa I'm so glad I could be of help! 🤗 you'll definitely be an asset to the field of mental health! All the best!

This sure is one of the best explanations I have come across. I am pursuing my Masters in Applied Psychology and I can't help but notice so many people around me who are pursuing Psychology with all the wrong notions in their mind and they bother too little to care. Glad to know that you know what you are doing and also have a clarity on how to do what ought to be done. I really hope this explanation reaches a lot of people and helps them decide whether Psychology is a field for them. All the very best and I hope you meet all your goals and ambitions and soar high!

Jerry Joy Mathew Topic starter December 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Thank you Krishna Priya ❤ I too come across such people and it's really sad. The thought that people who are unsure about themselves and go out and try to fix people and might put others in more trouble is scary. Let's hope things get better in our field. Wish you the best too! 😇  

Hi Jerry! Your humility, willingness to spend time guiding others is so appreciable.👏👏

This was so beautifully written and explained, so heart warming. This literally cleared my doubts whether I want to pursue a career in clinical psychology or not. I’ve heard many people say that there’s not much scope in this field. It’s so true that whatever field you choose, you’ll have to put in the hardwork( or so called  “struggles”). So I’d rather put in the hardwork and be happy while doing something I love than choosing an easy way out and probably regretting it later. 

Wow. This is so beautifully worded,very informative. Thanks for sharing this. You got really good  experience. I think you'll  be a cool psychologist. 

Share: