Notifications
Clear all

PSYCHOLOGY - As a Field of Academics and Career

21 Posts
21 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

ABOUT ME

I am a MA Psychology student from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. I have been studying Psychology since 11th and have a keen interest in Psychological research, Psychopathology and Neuropsychology. I have worked on 4 research papers so far along with college professors. 

WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE FIELD OF PSYCHOLOGY IN INDIA

Many of us enter the field with immense dreams and aspirations but we learn many things the hard way, just like many things in life. However, I am going to share a few things that I have learnt, hopefully it might help people who have recently joined the field.

1. Psychology involves a lot of biology and satistics. Human behaviour is not just about environment, it involves genetics, structure of the brain, neurotransmitters and a lot of biology! Some lose interest right here but even knowing the biological bases of behvaiour is as interesting.

2. It is difficult to find internships. Many of them are paid and waste of time so make sure what an internship has to offer before you pay a hefty amount for it. You may feel that whatever you are learning is extremely academic related and it is true, psychology is a practical field but due to limited number of internship opportunities and lack of practical knowledge, many people feel lost. You must be thinking what we can do to overcome this? I got you! So since people are not experienced enough, just like surgeons, we cannot deal with patients directly as it may cause more harm. Learn about the skills that you need this field like- empathy, taking case studies and histories etc. and work on those, keep yourself update on developments in the field.

3. Psychology as a branch is extremely diverse, there are various branches that one can opt for. Find out which one suits you and you are interested in as the knowledge is limited and not all information is provided about the several branches that exists.

If you have any questions, you can leave them below as well, I will try to answer them. Hope you fall in love with the subject just like i did.

kshithi December 12, 2020 2:30 pm

@aratrika Hey thank you so much for writing this! Now I'll know what to expect and what not and also I am studying botany and zoology with psychology so I'm hoping biology would not be a problem for me !

Ilhaam Shaik December 12, 2020 2:40 pm

@aratrika heyy! Thank you for the insights and what you said about internships is soo true.

Sajjithra Subbian December 12, 2020 2:44 pm

@aratrika Hii aratika Thank you for sharing

Faiza Naved December 12, 2020 2:50 pm

@aratrika Thanks alot for this  valuable information!

Sreejita Sarkar December 12, 2020 3:01 pm

@aratrika That was really informative, good to know what I'm signing up for. I'm sure we're all going to have adventurous careers but all worth it.

OMKAR KATE December 12, 2020 3:12 pm

@aratrika

Hello,

I would like to say that your experience is really great. I loved it. I really liked the detailing that you have put while writing this. Thank you very much for sharing your experience. And thank you very much for giving such detailed explanation. Loved your work

Gauri Kakar December 12, 2020 3:15 pm

@aratrika I'm really impressed with your interest and efforts in learning more about psychology. I appreciate your insights and these pointers are really helpful for a person wanting to pursue a career in psychology. I hope you rise and shine in everything you do, thank you for sharing your experience:)

Kirti manaktala December 12, 2020 4:27 pm

@aratrika this was so amazing. I wanna thank you for writing this. Very insightful, informative and helpful. I wish you loads of luck in the future. Stay safe and take care.

Neha Upasani December 12, 2020 4:41 pm

@aratrika I am agree with the point of Internships.. Overall article is also good...

Yashaswini Bhat December 12, 2020 4:42 pm

@aratrika thanks for sharing with us. you gave the needed information to the Indian students. have a good day

Namitha M December 12, 2020 7:33 pm

@aratrika thank you for sharung your experience.. God bless:))

Parishree Pandya December 12, 2020 8:54 pm

@aratrika wow, that was very informative. Thank you:)

A.Basu December 13, 2020 1:41 am

@aratrika Thank you for sharing your insights

Avantika Mehrotra December 13, 2020 2:13 am

@aratrika Hello Aratika!

Its extremely nice to have heard about you through your introduction. You have told me a lot about psychology which i never knew before. Thank you so much for that. And the internship part is so damn correct. I did an internship which was a total waste for me and it charged me a huge amount.

Well I hope to learn more from you! 

Saumya Srivastava December 14, 2020 9:30 am

Very informative for an undergraduate student like me. I really hope I am able to make it to BHU or DU to pursue my master's. Do give me some tips on how should I prepare for the entrance exams!

5 Answers

You are having good insight about the psychology field , you are doing a great job .theinternship information is good so that I could share with my friends. ☺

Aratrika Topic starter December 12, 2020 2:49 pm

@sreerekhakzenith Thank you! Hope it has helped

Thanks for sharing your experience I haven't studied psychology as much bt I got a chance to study it last semester and it was enough to make me fell in love with the subject and ur insights worked as cherry on top . I really hope to study it as a separate subject someday

Thanks for sharing this valuable information with us. As you said it involves lot of biology and that's somewhat my favourite part of it. And I agree that  getting an internship is very difficult. 

Psychology is still developing field in india according to its importance in foreign countries psychology don't get that importance in India 

hey, thanks for the info.. I'd like to work with children but I'm not quite sure of my career path. Do you know of anyone or could you help me with these doubts? https://buddingpsychologists.org/community/postid/6223/

Share: