MY (IN)EXPERIENCE

Notifications
Clear all

MY (IN)EXPERIENCE

49 Posts
49 Users
3 Reactions
Topic starter

From a young age, I've heard my parents quote Freud and Adler to brew conversations. I would gawk at the 'Interpretation of Dreams' or 'Man and Symbols' lying on my parents' shelves as a young student. They would throw around words like Oedipus or Anima whose meanings I couldn't understand as a child. Later, when my father let me borrow one of his books to read, I felt special. It was a thin book on Freud's infamous case study, 'Little Hans'. Ever since that day, I haven't been able to stop reading about Psychology, interpretations, theories, tests, therapies et.al. I had made up my mind, I would pursue psychology as a subject in high school. For my +2, I took up the subject with the expectation to learn more and learn better. After graduating, I had to pick a major for college, and I couldn't think of anything else but my first love, Psychology. My parents tried to convince me that my passion towards the subject was just a passing phase, and that it would induce immense uncertainty in my career. They believed, a subject like Psychology would have no promises of a steady paycheck in a country like India. It was ironic, how the people who developed my liking and piqued my interest were not approving of my career choice. However I listened to my heart and took up majors in the subject I'd always desired in a decent college in my hometown. The issues of mental health in my country needs tending, and I couldn't think of a better purpose in my life using all the opportunities that come my way while fighting all obstacles that impede my path, even if that includes my own family. I'm currently in the first year, pursuing my Bachelors in Science in Psychology and I feel proud while sharing my experience. It's not been a very long time but I'm learning and I hope I never stop doing so.

This felt cathartic and I really thank anyone who is reading it for being a part of my short yet delightful journey. 

Gurleen Kaur December 12, 2020 2:22 pm

@sreejita04

so glad you are pursuing your passion. Keep reading and expanding your knowledge!! I’m a ba (hons) psychology 2nd year student. Loved reading it. 

Ilhaam Shaik December 12, 2020 2:24 pm

@sreejita04 glad to know you're pursuing what you want!

Faiza Naved December 12, 2020 2:40 pm

@sreejita04 It takes alot of courage to stand up to your parents and for your passion, I am glad that you did that. All the best!!

Sajjithra Subbian December 12, 2020 3:12 pm

@sreejita04 Thank you for sharing sreejita

Yashaswini Bhat December 12, 2020 3:21 pm

@sreejita04 that's so nice to know that your following your passion. I loved the way you titled your answer and I loved more how you coined your words in the answer. Your answer took me to a emotional ride where i could feel every word you wrote/typed.

when you fallow your passion then only you can create magic. More power to u girl. 

OMKAR KATE December 12, 2020 3:26 pm

@sreejita04

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We can still see that many people are still a bit dicey while choosing psychology due to the same concerns as your parents. I really liked your love for the field of psychology and your dedication towards it. I'm sure you will do great in future. All the best and thank you

Gauri Kakar December 12, 2020 3:38 pm

@sreejita04 Wow, I really appreciate you sharing the experience, really glad you decided to follow your passion for psychology! You've written this so beautifully. I hope you rise & shine in everything you do!

Divya Chopade December 12, 2020 3:45 pm

@sreejita04

Very inspiring journey ! Sending good vibes your way ✨

Keep choosing your heart and passion always ! ❤️

kshithi December 12, 2020 3:53 pm

@sreejita04 hey there I am also doing my BSc in psychology! I'm really happy that you stood up to your parents.. good luck gurl!

Vanshika Nagda December 12, 2020 3:55 pm

@sreejita04 Its so good to see you following your heart and pursuing your passion. I am sure this will be helpful to a lot of people. All the best for your future!!

Kirti manaktala December 12, 2020 3:57 pm

@sreejita04 it takes immense guts and self belief to pursue your interests and do what your heart wants when there are differing opinions. Your thoughts are absolutely wonderful. Its nice to see your dedication shine through the post. 

I wish you a lot of luck.

Stay safe and take care. 

Anagha Rohankar December 12, 2020 4:40 pm

@sreejita04 heyya i found this interesting. Glad uh r pursuing ur passion. Hopr uh explore more.

Keep Growing 🍀

Cheers✌️

Amrita Jain December 12, 2020 8:02 pm

@sreejita04 soo good to know that you are among those who chase their dreams of childhood no matter whatever the situation are their. one who give priority to their dreams rather than to money and who play unsafe games rather than safe career choice.

Prerna Dash December 12, 2020 9:34 pm

@sreejita04 I wish you all the best for your future endeavours. Psychology is all about experiencing and exploring, keep experimenting and you'll do well in life.

Femitha Rachel Ebby December 12, 2020 11:41 pm

@sreejita04 Sreejita, this was wholesome to read. I appreciate the determination within you which drove you to pick your own path. A country like India surely needs many passionate mental health professional and advocates, so that we change the traditional attitude towards mental health and the stigma associated with getting help. It is really good to see more people coming in to contribute towards such a great selfless cause.

Also, the case of Little Hans used to fascinate me too 🙂 I always used to have such great fun reading through cases by Freud. They were such delight to read, I completely agree. I wish you many more wonderful years of learning and loving yourself and others.

Good luck with everything. Stay happy and safe!

Kritika Bhair December 13, 2020 12:36 am

@sreejita04 proud of you because you stood for yourself

Good luck girl

Karisma December 13, 2020 12:44 am

@sreejita04 that was really inspiring to read. It's so true that the mental health sector in India needs more attention and anyone entering the field is not always supported due to the uncertainties, but it's also important that as youths we try bringing about this change. So happy to know that you are doing what you always wanted to do. Hope you the best for what more to come.

Sneha Agrawal December 13, 2020 1:02 am

@sreejita04 Hey🧡 Its amazing how your parents are ur inspiration ,who drove you to establish an interest in psychology. Moreover,I definitely understand the uncertainty ur parents might be facing.Because of financial instability talks around the subject ,many people do not proceed ahead in this profession.But don't worry,there are many successful psychologists in India who earn pretty well are are equally respected.Psychology is definitely gaining prominence in today's Indian society.All the best to u.✨

Shruti Shashidharan December 13, 2020 1:27 am

@sreejita04 This is so inspiring and it's really great that you didn't waver from your decision of wanting to pursue a career in psychology! Keep up your passion for the subject and spreading awareness on mental health. Thank you for sharing your experience <3

Shatakshi Garg December 13, 2020 5:35 pm

That's quite relatable. Just follow your heart. Best wishes for your future! 

RIYA/RIRI December 13, 2020 5:42 pm

So glad that you decided to go with your heart! I’ve been in a similar situation and honestly it is so refreshing so see so many people having interest in psychology hopefully they’ll have more positive outlook towards psychology in future (: 

Lavanya Bahl December 13, 2020 6:04 pm

Your story makes me happy and a little disheartened at the same time. It's good that you followed your heart and now feel nothing less than proud in your decisions, but seeing that your parents (assuming they're from the field of psychology itself) didn't approve of your career choice and labelled it as a "passing phase" makes me really sad. It makes me think about all those children who have to struggle so much just so they could live their lives their way! Indeed our country requires extreme measures for a better mindset! You write well though. Best wishes and stay happy! 🙂

Shraddha S. Kambli December 13, 2020 7:27 pm

Thank you for sharing. Glad to know that you're pursuing what you want. All the best to you for your future. 

Mohini Agrawal December 13, 2020 7:30 pm

It was so wholesome! And I am soo proud of you for following your heart hope you get all you deserve! Good luck! 🙂

Rashmi Parab December 13, 2020 7:41 pm

@sreejita04 It takes alot of courage to stand up to your parents and for your passion, I am glad that you did that. All the best!!

Elysia Fernandes December 13, 2020 7:56 pm

You should be proud of yourself! You’ve overcome all your challenges to do what you truly love. Kudos to you. Wishing you all the best in your future💖

Khushi Garg December 14, 2020 1:45 am

Your journey is so inspiring and soulful. You have chosen what you believed in. Sticking with interests is really a hard thing. I salute your commitment. 

Preethama December 14, 2020 1:51 am

its my pleasure in knowing your story. its great to know you knew what you wanted to do from a very young age. happy to have read you journey. all the best ahead.

Manasi Bhosale December 14, 2020 2:01 am

Happy to see that you are following your dreams. All the best!! 

Aleesha Joykutty December 14, 2020 10:26 am

that's so nice to know that your following your passion. I loved the way you titled your answer and I loved more how you coined your words in the answer. Your answer took me to a emotional ride where i could feel every word you wrote/typed

Ananya December 14, 2020 12:54 pm

Thankyou for sharing. This was really inspiring and I love your spirit. I wish you the best for your future.

17 Answers

Thank you for sharing your experience. I know many people do not feel that it is not suitable career choice and even my dad did not approve of it so I can relate to your experience. 

Sreejita... you're too humble. You're definitely not inexperienced. You've been raised around psychology and it is a blessing. It might seem like a tough journey but your roots are strong and I've faith you'll get through it well. This community will support you and you have the tools at your disposal. Make it a lifestyle and work on being an amazing human through psychology. Wishing you the best. 😇

Your journey is quite good I could feel my  journey of being a student from KG...  Upper class...  HS. ... College. .. It goes on😌

Aleesha Joykutty December 14, 2020 10:27 am

Heyyy....very glad hearing your thoughts. Keep it up

Glad to know that u listened to urself and ended up pursuing ur passion and glad to know your thoughts on subject nd happy to be a part of your journey.

1. Hi Sreejita, that was a lovely read, that's so nice to hear you just listened to your thoughts out and followed it without any confusion admist other suggestions you received. Good luck 🙂

Glad to know your story all the beat for your life ahead 

It is always such a gleeful thing to listen to someone say that they are pursuing their dreams regardless of things. I feel happy that somewhere, in some distant family, parents are inculcating the knowledge of Psychology in their children. I myself have grown in an intellectual environment and I picked up the understanding of leadership and socio-cultural-political issues from there, so I understand the kind of influence you're talking about. You have written this piece with utmost optimism and I thank you for sharing such positivity with us. In our circuit, we are continuously talking about the unimportance given to mental health but we fail to realize that no significance of mental health will be recognized until the population as a whole has a better understanding of psychology. This post has made me keen that I should consciously share more of this knowledge with the people around me, especially the younger ones, and inculcate a curiousity in them too. 

So glad to know ur experience in this field. Its good to listen to ur heart. Whats meant to happen will happen. I am sure u ll flourish in this field! Great luck for ur journey ahead! Keep shining!💫

So glad you found your passion and followed your heart. We need more people like you who are so passionate about mental health! So nice knowing about you ! 

Great write up. If you want something you have too chase that. all the best. Have the great future.

Beautifully penned down dear. 

Even I have been mind boggled by psychology! It is something magical.

As far as the scope of it is concerned, people are becoming more aware about mental health with each passing day, and this definitely calls in for the need of psychologists and mental health practitioners.

Best wishes! 

Thankyou for sharing this journey! I am in my first year, pursuing psychology hons too! and I can't agree more with you! This feels so relatable!

I feel like there's only so much that one can grasp within the realms of psychology. i hope you find a steady career and thrive in your life. thank you for sharing your story with us, it's truly inspirational. 

More power to you and a the best for your future.

Wow, at a very young age you were building already your passion and making a move on it. That was amazing. YOur heart and passion have really lead and guide you to the path you loved to be where you are. Glad to see you pursued and continue it. The world needs a passionate person like you! Thank You !

Keep up with your passion dear . juz do what you think is right for you because the is no better court that the conversation between our mind and heart

Sakthiswaari

I myself have grown in an intellectual environment and I picked up the understanding of leadership and socio-cultural-political issues from there, so I understand the kind of influence you're talking about.

Share: