A Career in Clinica...

Notifications
Clear all

A Career in Clinical Psychology

20 Posts
20 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter

I had psychology as a career in my mind ever since I was 12 years old but it was on the list amongst other things including astronomer, singer, author, and doctor. But my resolve to pursue a career in psychology became stronger by the time I turned 15. At 15, I was a silent girl, keeping my thought and emotions to myself and never expressing my feelings. This bottling up led to multiple breakdowns in a span of mere months. My friend suggested I consider taking medical aid. 

Although it was difficult to speak to my parents about it, they were supportive of it. Therapy helped me a lot. And I realized, I am blessed to have the means to seek it and a community that is supportive but not everyone is so lucky. It was then that I decided I want to be a clinical psychologist and a mental health advocate.

To make a career as a clinical psychologist you ought to be mentally prepared for studying first of all. Bachelors in any field but preferably psychology, M.A. or M.Sc. in Psychology followed by M.Phil. In total it would take around 7 years (3+2+2). Anybody who aims to continue in the field of research should pursue a Ph.D., although this path will be a little longer and may take even 10 years. 

Apart from this, various specializations and Diplomas available for specific topics. Psychology is a fast-growing field and emphasis has been given to it in recent times. An average psychologist makes about 5-6 LPA with salaries going as high as 30 LPA. As the world moves ahead and people become distant from each other and more engrossed in themselves, they need more and more help from mental health professionals. Thus more of us need to don the white-colored doctor cape and become the heroes for this silent killer- mental health problem. 

Harshita Vaswani December 13, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks for sharing

Prakriti Sanganeria December 13, 2020 2:10 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this much needed details about this field. I hope you get to fulfill your ambitions

Kirtika Tiwari December 13, 2020 8:36 pm

I agree with everything you wrote here. Not all illnesses can be cured by medicines , sometimes we just need to sit and talk it out to someone. Thanks for sharing this!

Azha Amina Akbar December 13, 2020 8:37 pm

Hey Saumya! I felt like meeting you in person and having a chat after reading your article. I am so happy that you went on to seek for help from a professional. That was a very courageous thing to do! Not many are ready to do that and try solving problems on their own which often fails. I suggest that you watch this channel 'Special Books by Special Kids' by Chris Ulmer on YouTube! You would find it interesting. Sorry if you are already aware of it! Looking forward to working with you! 

And also, please have a glance through my blog....azhaaminaakbar.blogspot.com  

Yuvanue chauhan December 13, 2020 11:07 pm

THANKS  for sharing your experience.GREAT INFO . All the best for your future 

M. Benadict Savitha December 13, 2020 11:36 pm

I agree to you and even am doing my clinical psychology and more to know from you thank you for such an article

Israela Pinto December 14, 2020 12:01 am

@saumya21 Thank you for this information. Keep it up!!

12 Answers

This is the best description of the field I browsed till now. You summed it up so well and the facts were up to the point. This definitely helps people who wants to pursue a degree in Psychology. I hope you reach your goal and fulfill your ambitions.

Wow! Thank you for giving this articulate account of the field of psychology! I'd like to add that I have experienced a very similar situation, and that I feel that psychology is more than a subject, and more than a practice. And also that one can do a PhD. or a Psy.D, according to their preference. 

Saumya Srivastava Topic starter December 14, 2020 8:57 am

Hey, Psy.D is more popular abroad than in India. For researching in Psychology from India, it's preferable to pursue PhD

Very informative and on point. I hope you achieve your goals.

Thank you so much for this. My plan is to do clinical psychology . This helps a lot 😀 

Great suggestion. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. All the best.

Wow, you've summed up so much information in such an effective way. That's a talent! Thankyou for the insight 

Hi Saumya, thank you for sharing this! It was actually very inspiring reading about your journey and it was really good to hear that you got the help that you needed. I also got hit with a major reality check about my future and while I've always known how difficult it is to get a career in psychology, it always helps to get reminded about it to constantly be in that mindset

Thanks for sharing your experience! This was so informative. It can be a lengthy path but I think it's worth it 

Thank you so much for sharing this info. This was so detailed yet so precise! Haven't even found such info on the net before. This actually gives all the relevant details regarding the profession and definitely helps someone like me who's considering getting into the field. This was super helpful!

Salary is really a must thing to consider when choosing a field. This was guiding and very informative. My interest in our subject in Anaphy made me consider also taking Clinical Psychology, but no matter I chose It would still an objective for me to kill the stigma about mental health. Thanks for this.

Wow! I am so glad you chose psychology among all. Thank you for sharing the information. 

Hello, 

Hearing up your story made me feel glad. It's one the great achievement when you finally select what you actually want to do in your life . Aim is really important for happy  life. 

I too selected my field,  way back in 9th standard and that helped me to stay out of distractions.

Moreover whatever you mentioned about Psychology stream was accurate to go through. Nice experience. 

Share: