PSYCHOLOGY IN FOREN...

Notifications
Clear all

PSYCHOLOGY IN FORENSICS: FORM CLINIC TO COURT

5 Posts
4 Users
2 Reactions
Topic starter

Forensic psychology: A branch of psychology which relates to the law.

Well I have no personal experience in this, but the topic itself excites me. Forensic psychology is slightly different from Criminal psychology.

While criminal psychology focuses on criminal behavior, forensic psychology includes criminal and civil law, work in prisons, at-risk youth counseling, and academic research, forensic psychology requires the assessment of a wide array of people, including victims of crime, witnesses, attorneys, and law enforcement. 

The main part of forensic psychology is working with the criminal justice system.

A broad definition for forensic psychology includes two parts. The first part is to research human behavior that is and/or can be related to the legal process. The second is the use of psychological practice to consult on and within the legal system, including both criminal and civil law. 

The public part of a forensic psychologist’s time is spent in a courtroom working as a witness for the court. He or she answers questions based on interviews and discussions with people suspected of a crime. One aspect of the forensic psychologist is to give evidence as to the suspect’s ability to stand trial. Another is his or her thoughts about the accused's state of mind at the time of the offense. At sentencing, a forensic psychologist may give evidence of mitigating circumstances arising from the accused's condition at the time.

A FP has many roles. Some of them are:

Forensic psychology has some major roles in a court that bring psychology into a legal arena. The first is "malingering" a defendant is pretending to have a mental illness, or is lying to the court about his state of mind. A forensic psychologist keeps in mind that a defendant may have a mental disorder but also keeps in mind to watch for signs of deception, or errors in the defendant’s story. Another job of a forensic psychologist is to investigation the state of mind of the defendant at the time he or she committed the crime. Another is to see whether or not the defendant is able to be charged with the crimes due to his or her mental conditions. Another job is to evaluate the defendant to see if he or she is able to be rehabilitated, or if they might commit the crime again.

Psychologists have cracked many cases like that of one of the most famous criminals "Ted Bundy" or even "New York's Mad Bomber" was solved with the psychologists playing a major in that.

I ended up wanting to do something in this field as i always liked working with people and also liked something related to crime. And psychology was something I fell in love with on the way.

Hope you like what I've managed to write and maybe helped in choosing your career.

3 Answers

Thanks for sharing. it has a lot of information. 

Ekta Mishra Topic starter December 13, 2020 2:39 pm

You are welcome. Hope it was helpful.

Psychology definitely intrigues everyone, but this aspect of it is even more interesting. Also, this position is so needed to understand the criminal mindset, or whether the crime is done under a psychological condition. Great content!!

Ekta Mishra Topic starter December 13, 2020 9:05 pm

You got that right!!! Thanks If I can  I will try to write more about it.

Wow! That's a lot of detailed information. Thanyou for sharing 

Share: