Pre menstrual syndrome or PMS
It has become such a common term but do we actually understand what it is?
PMS is referred as a syndrome because in the medical world we call something a syndrome when we can put a specific description on it and everybody doesn’t look the same. This shows that we as women all have different combinations of symptoms for PMS and they might even differ each month.
What are the Symptoms of PMS
In general when there is PMS it includes a combination of three different types of symptoms that are emotional symptoms, physical symptoms and behavioral symptoms.
Emotional symptoms may include
- Feeling depressed
- Feeling like crying
- Feeling of social withdrawal
2. Physical symptoms of PMS
- Breast tenderness
- Upset stomach
- Pain in or around hips, Lower back and joints
- Acne breakouts
- Fluid retention
- A little bit of weight gain
3. Behavioral symptoms
This might generally include food cravings
What Causes PMS?
It’s the hormones
- Fluctuations of hormone levels
- Level of dopamine and serotonin are on lower level generally known as the feel good hormones.
10 Foods that Fights PMS
Tips to control PMS
- Have a good quality sleep
- Regulate your food habits till you have symptoms
- Exercise or eat chocolate to increase levels of serotonin
- Practice stress reduction techniques such as yoga, going to walk, be out with friends etc.
- Go to a doctor so they can help you find a treatment that is safe and effective if you have serious symptoms.