Notifications
Clear all

Expressing and listening

24 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello everyone! 

I am Karisma Sadhnani, I am in my final semester of completing my bachelor in applied psychology, and the most current topic that is around me is choosing a college for my masters and a specialization. 

Well that not what I am about talk about here, I wanted to share two terms that in my life I have learned are the most important skills that one should develop. 

The first is expressing, I have learned that it is so important that you learn to voice your thoughts, it's doesn't necessarily means to speak out, you could use music, art, dance anything, any form of being able to express yourself. It's also always doesn't have to be expressed to someone, sometimes just talking to yourself as in letting yourself know what you are feeling and what's happening around you is so important. The less we express the more we repress and one day when  you have had enough of repressing either the outcome will hurt others other you or you will end up hurting yourself. Thus I believe learn to express yourself from a young age is very necessary skill. 

The second skill is to learn to listen, not only as psychology but as humans, and not only about someone problem but just to whatever the other person wants to speak about. When we listen not only so we learn about the other, we get a better understanding of what they want and mean. Half of the problems, misunderstanding will get sorted if only people would learn to listen to what being said rather what they want to hear. 

From an early age my parents made sure that I learned to express myself, and I believe that is the best skill they have taught me, being able to express myself if not verbally then in my writings has helped me grow as an individual and always be aware of myself. These two skills are also one that helped me pick psychology as my field of career. 

I end with a quote that I love a lot, though it doesn't directly related to what I have said but still.

"If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”– Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hope everyone is safe and having a good day. ☺

Lavanya Bahl December 13, 2020 7:54 pm

OMG! I love your viewpoint. I fully agree to what all you've said above. Can't put into words how much these two skills are necessary to become our ideal self. So nice to have you here. Would love to connect with you. Oh, btw, I'm a first year student of Ba. Psychology Hons. Hehee!

Smrithi.S December 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Your view has a good essence!

Ranjima Raveendran December 13, 2020 10:41 pm

Woow.. Beautiful! I really loved how you have ended the content with a quote. Yes.. I agree 100% that expressing and listening are very important in everyone's lives. I hope someday people will start accepting this. 

Azha Amina Akbar December 13, 2020 11:06 pm

Karisma, beautifully expressed the two most imp things we all should have as human beings and especially as psychology students. There is an NGO called 'Listening Community' active in Kerala which is a group of trained volunteers who gathers every month and simply listens to anyone anywhere around the globe who wants to say something! No judgements and comments will be passed! Hope you will check out that group:) 

Akshita Wasnik December 13, 2020 11:36 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us, it's a really beautiful read.

Aashima Kathpalia December 14, 2020 12:18 am

this is really such a pleasant message .. much love to you , keep growing and learning !!! 🌺 

Manasi Bhosale December 14, 2020 2:24 am

You have written it so well. Your parents are amazing souls. It was nice to see how understanding your parents are. Do follow your dreams. All the best! 

Preethama December 14, 2020 2:26 am

hey, thanks listening and expressing are really important. its something i myself learnt the hard way. and reading this put a smile on my face as you've beautiful expressed you though. all the best

SUBHASHREE December 14, 2020 6:51 am

I completely agree with your point. It's just awesome. 

Aleesha Joykutty December 14, 2020 10:41 am

Woow.. Beautiful! I really loved how you have ended the content with a quote. Yes.. I agree 100% that expressing and listening are very important in everyone's lives. I hope someday people will start accepting this.  

13 Answers

Hey Karisma! You are right about expressing because if we start repressing then it will sink into our unconscious mind and soon it will burst with some outbursts or abnormal behaviour. 

People need to vent and share what they feel and they just need a ear that will listen to them and understand them. Its not always necessary that it has to be a psychologist but it can be anyone.

Thank you for sharing your insights with us!

Sneha Agrawal December 13, 2020 6:20 pm

Thank u so much for sharing your experience,hope to take lesson from ur experiences.I agree with all the things u mentioned about expressing and listening.And definitely thats integral traits for any psychologists or counsellors.Thank u so much for sharing ur experience.🧡

This was amazing , and I completely agree with you .

We believe same things soul sister.  I wish all your tomorrows are better than todays. God bless you.  Keep going. 🙂

I like your way of thinking. Hope you find a specialization for masters. Just give it time. all the best

Hey, 

That was a very important and useful information for all of us I believe. Yes I do agree that expressing one's self is very important as it is important to be aware for what is happening in and around you. Listening is also another important skill an individual should master as I believe if a person can listen, it makes it easier to understand a situation well and prevents from any unwanted occurrences. Thanks alot for the information!

Absolutely loved your viewpoint and the way you've written it too! We're in a world where people find it easier to stay numb than express themselves and that is so alarming! I'm so glad that your parents have been there for you and let you voice your opinions. This article will definitely help a lot of people see things through a different light. May you never stop expressing yourself because the world needs more people like you. All the best! 

Thinker/ Dreamer/ Believer

I absolutely loved this. Total agreed with everything you said. Thanks for Sharing! 

I agree with you. Those are two most important skills that a human should have. You have written beautifully and i can tell that you really know how to express yourself.

You articulated yourself in such a transperant manner. I love this. Everything is written amazingly. May god bless you with so so so so much happiness.🧡

Beautiful writing! Thank you for sharing that! I'm also wondering, how about people with disabilities, they would definitely find it more of a challenge to either listen or express themselves. How woud they do so?

That's true that expressing and listening are very much important skills not just on professional front but also in real life. Its important that children grow up in such environment where these skills become a part of their personalities. Well said and good luck!!! 

expressing and learning are 2 integral parts of our lives and i completely agree with you.  Thank you for sharing this story with us ❤️ 

Hey! Yes I am skilled in listening  but being an introvert it's difficult to me to express much. Surely, I am gonna train this skill. Thanks for sharing dear 😌

Share: