Why is it a taboo t...

Notifications
Clear all

Why is it a taboo to talk about mental illness in our society? Can we cope with it?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

We must do awareness campaigns and do something about it!

Poojitha December 11, 2020 3:58 pm

@hakimkhairunnisa I think it is changing. Our generation is changing it. Look at how open we are about mental health. For more effective change we just have to explain everyone patiently about it ig 🙄

2 Answers
  • Because initially, mental health wasn't the topic anyone talked about and that became a taboo as now not everyone wants to seem vulnerable or weak infront of their fears. It's an ongoing notion in the society that made us believe that there's no thing as mental health as such
  •  
Hakim Khairunnisa Topic starter December 10, 2020 7:34 pm

@dikshatarnekar 

Yes May be to some extent but there's also a stigma attached. People consider us insane if we go to the psychiatrist for anxiety and depression. Well we're 21st century humans with unhealthy society norms.

Diksha Tarnekar December 10, 2020 7:36 pm

Yes definitely. I was hesitant too to approach a psychologist when I was having troubles to cope up with daily activities. We must really start normalising this.

Aparna Jayachandran December 10, 2020 7:43 pm

@dikshatarnekar

Heyy, i feel you very much. And as psychology students this we must put our best foot forward to help eradicate this taboo. looking forward to work with you.

Hakim Khairunnisa Topic starter December 11, 2020 2:59 pm

@dikshatarnekar

Yes it's good to make yourself feel okay and try to be less stressed but if you need a help , you must seek it.

I believe that mental health has become a taboo due to the refusal of people to comment or start the conversation about it. Yes, it is true that no one wants to be vulnerable when sharing their thoughts, and due to the perception that vulnerability is weakness, the notion of a taboo was further propagated. What we need to understand is a taboo is not always wrong, and vulnerability is not weakness, and quite the opposite. I think it moreover became a taboo, as we are almost an illiterate nation, and even when people cannot mentally cope up, their first thought is that they need food to survive, causing further neglect. There are so many more aspects, like the govt has made physical healthcare almost free for people who require it, but not mental healthcare. So a combinations of situations and reasons are responsible for this disregard for mental health. 

Share: