Notifications
Clear all

Why psychology?

20 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

13 year old me got up one fine day and decided that she is tired of being dragged around in a conservative convent school which only cares about students who scored marks and bagged them accolades. Nothing about me is conservative. I've always been a very experimental child. I wanted to try hair coloring and piercings and tattoos and to top it all off I wasn't an average heterosexual girl. I knew since I was 10 or 11 that i was interested in girls and not so much in boys. I also knew that if someone did get to know I might just be stone pelted (over exaggeration but I m sure the emotional trauma would have been as painful if not more). I was already an easy target for bullies with my ample body and body hair which just won't quit. It was like i was manufactured to be thrown around. So I decided to not only hide in the closet but lock it and guard it much more safely than my mom guards her Tupperware. Hiding my sexuality, clubbed with endless bullying and very and grades felt like a downward spiraling roller coaster and 13 year old me was super done with it. I researched, googled, toppled and fell finally into the beautiful pit of the subject called psychology and I have since then never looked back. 

I've kicked my closet open and I've embraced my sexuality (bisexual, she/her). I've been studying psych for 5 years now (+2 and BA) and i want to pursue clinical psychology. I want to work towards creating inclusivity. My pride is my pride and no one can take it away from me. 

P.S.- as far as the experimentation part goes I have tried every hair color and every hair cut.. 4 piercings and a tattoo. This is who I am. I have got one life to live and I won't quit just because I don't fit into someone's ideals.

Thanks for reading. Stay safe and take care. 

Parishree Pandya December 12, 2020 8:17 pm

@kirtimanaktala hello kirti, I loved reading about your experience and though I don't know you, I felt really proud that you put yourself first in the end and did what you wanted to do. All the best for your future, I'm sure you'll make a great clinical psychologist.

Prerna Dash December 12, 2020 10:13 pm

@kirtimanaktala even i want to be a clinical psychologist and I'm impressed by your experiments. All the best for your future endeavours. 

Diya Rao Jaini December 12, 2020 10:14 pm

@kirtimanaktala I loved reading your story! I think it's really inspirational and it's super brave of you to fully embrace who you are. Great job! 🙂

Kritika Bhair December 13, 2020 1:15 am

@kirtimanaktala heyyy I loved reading it thanks for sharing

Good luck!!!

Tanisha Ajmani December 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience 

Prakriti Sanganeria December 13, 2020 2:27 pm

I loved knowing about your experience and how you embraced it. Thank you for sharing it with us

Divya Chopade December 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Hello, 

Thank you for sharing your journey , it's very inspiring ! Sending good vibes your way❤️

Pratik Jha December 14, 2020 1:58 am

It's great to see you achieved what you wanted 

Gurleen Kaur December 21, 2020 12:02 am

Hey kriti! Kudos on being brave enough to come out as who you are . I had a very close friend who left school because he was gay . He faces bullying and his mom ahifted him to a hostel 🙁 I know of a few more students  aswell but they find it hard to come out . I have an account @_shades_of_khushi_ where I will be starting a series very soon about lgbtq+ and reach out to people spreading awareness and hope that they will be accepted . And they must admire who they are . I will really appreciate if you get in touch with me ans maybe we can share your experience and give them hope and moral support 

10 Answers

I loved reading about it, your journey and now a totally confident person who knows what to d and how. Wish you happiness and success. All the best.

Hey Kirti,

Glad you could experiment. My experiments are on a haitus because of parental pressure. LGBTQ plus do have it rather tough because of the heteronormative society and I have been there. Self-acceptance does not come easy and I am glad to hear a relatable account of being gay in India. Best of luck and I am glad you found peace in psychology. 

Hey Kirti,

Glad you could experiment. My experiments are on a haitus because of parental pressure. LGBTQ plus do have it rather tough because of the heteronormative society and I have been there. Self-acceptance does not come easy and I am glad to hear a relatable account of being gay in India. Best of luck and I am glad you found peace in psychology. 

This is amazing experience! Don't mind what society says...just be yourself and conquer the world!❤️

Hello! It is really good to hear about how you finally found your calling and how much this field has helped you in overcoming your own challenges and how inspiring your goal is - To make a more inclusive world! Embracing ourselves as well as others is what is needed . Thank you for sharing😊 Luck for all the future endeavors 

This was really amazing. Glad you experimented with something new. I'm really proud of you even we didn't know each other

Hello Kriti! I am very glad to know that you tackled your situation and stood for yourself. I wish you all the strength and energy to continue to do so and may you achieve your goals and ambitions no matter what and emerge as an inspiration. All the best and never lose hope! The world is with you. Wish you good luck and more energy to deal with peoples concerns also along with yours. Rise like a Phoenix!

Bravo Kirti!

It takes a lot to unhear what people say, and still listen to what your heart says and follow it. It is not easy going against the societal norms, you have face a lot of backlash in the process.

Inspite, you did what you wanted and embraced who you are! Well done💖

This is so interesting, and relatable! Glad to have read it 🙂 I have a tattoo of a lily! What's your tattoo like?

Looking at people who want make a change in this world makes me so happy. One of the things I want to work towards is creating inclusivity too. And I want to pursue clinical psychology too. It's so nice to meet you. 

Thank you for sharing and all the best for your future! 🙂

Share: