Scholars says that sleep is the most important part of our daily routine. A good sleep is beneficial for our body as well as our mind. If you have a regular and scheduled sleep then you will be energetic and fresh but an irregular cycle of sleep can cause tremendous problems. Building a proper sleep cycle is necessary for all human being.
Some tips to improve your sleep:
- Try to go sleep and wake up on a regular time.
- A normal adult should sleep 8-9 hours a day and take a 15-20 min nap during afternoon. Children’s should at least sleep for 10 hours a day.
- Avoid screen before going to sleep.
- Avoid late night television
- Exercise regularly: as it benefits sleep and gives a relaxing sleep.
- Avoid heavy meals at night. Eat and drink properly. It not only helps improve your sleep cycle but also provides proper balanced diet.
- Keep a good sleeping environment.
- Keep your head clear before going to sleep
HYPERSOMNIA – EXCESSIVE SLEEPLINESS
In hypersomnia an individual can feel extreme amount of sleepiness and are always fatigued during the day time. Hypersomnia is a condition where your sleep is been affected, you tend to sleep all day. Although it is possible to control your sleep but one will feel tired and lazy.
It can be said as a neurological disorder where a person feels sleepy during the day time or they spent their maximum time sleeping. Another name for hypersomnia is ‘Excessive day time sleepiness(EDS)’. People suffering from this condition lack concentration and are always exhausted, they are not able to keep up with their work due to low energy level.
Hypersomnia is described into two types : primary hypersomnia and secondary hypersomnia.
- PRIMARY HYPERSOMNIA: This type is quite common and occurs due to excessive fatigue. No medical condition is evolved and the person feels sleepy only because they are tired or exhaust during the day time.
- SECONDARY HYPERSOMNIA: Occurs due to some medical or neurological condition. Like kidney failure, chronic fatigue syndrome, some disease or due to high dose of medications. This causes lack of sleep during the night time which later affects the day by making a person tired, lazy and sleepy.
CAUSES FOR HYPERSOMNIA
There are several reasons for a person to develop hypersomnia. This may include:
- Excessive work without rest
- Irregular sleeping habits
- Improper diet
- People who drink and smoke
- Head trauma or injury
- People suffering from kidney failure, neurological conditions, heart or brain conditions, low blood pressure, low thyroid function and sleep apnea.
- People going through depression, anxiety or stress
SYMPTOMS OF HYPERSOMNIA
People suffering from hypersomnia usually take long day naps due to fatigue. They also have difficulty in waking up early or for being awake for a long period of time.
Some common symptoms are:
- Tiredness or being exhaust
- Lack of breath while sleeping
- Low energy and stamina
- Low immunity level
- Loss of appetite
- Slow thinking
- Lack concentration
- Problem in remembering things
- Short term memory
Doctors diagnose this after multiple test which may include a routine check-up on your sleep schedule, polysomnogram, your sleep scale (the rate of your sleepiness), your diet and any previous medical history.
Treatment includes self-treatment and medical treatment:
- SELF-TREATMENT: This is something that you can do to improve your lifestyle and avoid the risk of facing a major sleep disorder. Self-treatment includes a proper sleep cycle along with a balanced diet. Low usage of drugs, alcohol and more intake of nutrition so that it gives your body energy and one won’t feel fatigued. Regular exercise will also help improve your sleep. An individual should try to avoid late night work if suffering from any sleep related conditions
- MEDICAL TREATMENT: This involves doctors and medication. When you notice changes in your sleep you should consult a doctor. Certain drugs are provided to keep you awake and provide you energy but, excessive intake of drugs can be harmful so one should try to go through the natural process by changing sleep and diet plan.
This condition is not a serious one. Some people cope up with it just by changing their lifestyle and by creating a peaceful environment around them. One cannot completely prevent hypersomnia but can reduce the risk factors of this condition.
If you feel that you are going through some of the symptoms consult a doctor as sleep is a very important part of our lifestyle. An imbalanced sleep can cause many problems and health hazards so, maintaining a proper sleep cycle is necessary for people of all age groups.